We recently ran a series of LinkedIn polls to answer the question, What are the biggest challenges facing General Counsel when hiring legal talent. We’ve collated all our results and our sharing our findings in a series of articles. Here we discuss the second most popular challenge – calibre.
One of the main problems on this front is that calibre can of course mean different things to different people! You can however, look at your end-to-end recruitment process to see where you might be able to make improvements to give you the best chance of securing the talent you are looking to add to your legal team. Before starting you next in-house counsel search, ask yourself a few questions:
- What does calibre mean to you for this particular hire?
- What are the non-negotiables for this hire and how will you test this appropriately at interview?
- Is your recruitment process efficient and engaging enough to attract and secure your preferred candidate?
- How will YOU sell the opportunity to candidates who meet your calibre requirements?
- Are you aware of your employer brand proposition and where challenges might be in attracting candidates?
- What sourcing channels are you using to ensure you access the widest pool of talent not just the active market?
Speaking with a specialist legal recruiter such as Taylor Root can provide the market insight you need to understand the talent pool and the depth of resources needed to access it. We partner with you using a pro-active, multi-channel approach to source you the best talent.
Our latest UK and Ireland in-house legal market report and salary guide is available here.
Please get in touch if you are looking for further suggestions on improving your recruitment process or accessing a wider pool of legal talent: firstname.lastname@example.org