We are seeking a mid-level Associate to join an award-winning Corporate Energy & Infrastructure team. This role can be based from Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne. You will be working with our leading Partners in Sydney as well as other Energy & Infrastructure and Projects Partners across our national practice.
The team is involved at the forefront of some of the biggest transactions and market changes in the Australian energy & renewables and infrastructure sectors.
Their clients include leading energy companies, infrastructure funds and governments (both State and Federal).
Your day could typically involve:
- Advising on mergers & acquisitions in the energy and infrastructure sector (including electricity, renewables, hydrogen, gas, road, rail, ports and airports, water and digital infrastructure).
- Advising proponents on some of Australia's largest infrastructure development projects (including renewable energy projects, electricity interconnectors, roads and rail rolling stock).
- Advising governments on significant market reforms (including the NSW Government on implementation of its Electricity Roadmap).
- A mix of advice, commercial drafting and transaction work.
- Working closely with team members in Australia and worldwide on transactions and projects throughout Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
- Mentoring graduates in the team, and assisting with providing training to juniors both in the team and across the firm.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will have:
- An unrestricted Australian or New Zealand practicing certificate, with at least 2 years' experience with a corporate or projects background.
- A keen interest in the energy and infrastructure sectors, and an eagerness to be part of the development of those sectors.
- An ability to work on complex and challenging work, often to tight timeframes, collaboratively and at times autonomously.
- An excellent academic record coupled with strong legal skills and a practical mindset.
- A proactive approach and desire to be an integral member of our leading and supportive team.
- An eagerness to create an exceptional experience for our clients and value empathy, simplicity and commerciality as we do.
The team frequently works with industries that are reshaping, restructuring and expanding into new markets. They advise on many of our clients' most important commercial transactions, including significant cross-border mergers and acquisitions, ground-breaking projects and privatisations.
Our client advises many of the largest and most ambitious organisations across all major regions of the globe. Operating from our global network of offices across Asia Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and North America, the firm is in the centre of the new global business landscape providing premium quality, full-service legal advice.
The firm's Energy and Infrastructure group is ranked as a Tier 1 (Legal 500) and ranked Band 1 (Chambers Asia Pacific). The firm's Energy and Infrastructure practice has been awarded Team of the Year by Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards (2000), Energy, Resources and Utilities Team of the Year (2020) by Merger Market Australian Law Awards and Australian Energy Team of the Year 2019 by AFR Best Lawyers.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to partner with prestigious clients based in Australia and globally on some of the largest, most strategic and most complex matters, and develop deep expertise across a range of sectors, as well as opportunities to collaborate on cross-border matters with our global network. We also encourage your involvement in our various networks, pro-bono legal offerings, learning and development initiatives and innovation groups such as Innovation 10, Digital Law Group and our Alternative Legal Services (ALT) practice group.
- We recognise that the success of our business and our clients' businesses relies on the skills, knowledge and ideas of all our people. We are dedicated to creating an exceptional experience for our clients and we value empathy, simplicity and commerciality.
- You will be part of a diverse, innovative culture where high performance, client focus and highly engaged people are our differentiator. People at our firm come from a range of backgrounds and bring a wide variety of experiences and perspectives to their work with us. We strive to ensure that our inclusive environment means you feel valued and able to perform at your best by being your authentic self at work. We know that our future success not only depends on being innovative and progressive in the changing legal market but, most importantly, on our people feeling highly engaged in meaningful work.
- People join us to develop their careers and themselves. To support this we provide contemporary tailored learning programs, regular career conversations and a culture of feedback.
For more information or for a confidential discussion, please contact Alexandra Starke:
D: 02 9236 9076