4 months ago
Regional General Counsel - Africa
Taylor Root is instructed exclusively to assist our client in sourcing a Regional General Counsel to look after the legal interests in Africa. The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The purpose of the role is to build a top class Legal and Company Secretary function for the company, which operates in the Insurance sector. The role is responsible for the Legal Function and the quality of the Company Secretarial support.
The Lead Regional Counsel Africa leads the legal team from a functional perspective and is responsible for the corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. He or she will provide sound and effective legal advice on all legal aspects of the business of the company and will ensure that the business operates within the legal framework in the region, while striking the right balance with the company's commercial requirements.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Leading and overseeing the legal teams and support in the countries where the company is operational.
- Legal support of strategic M&A, bancassurance and partnership initiatives and other commercial transactions.
- Legal support of the implementation of the digital strategy
- Management of the litigation portfolio and support in regulatory enforcement matters
- General commercial and business legal support including with regard to employment and IP matters.
- Governance and ensuring a high-quality support and oversight of all company secretarial matters in the markets in which the company is operational
Skill set, qualifications and experience
- At least 15 year's experience both in private practice and in inhouse roles preferably in MNC's
- proven people management skills; able to motivate and develop teams
- entrepreneurial mindset; needs to be comfortable with being a self-starter in a young region (currently covering 8 countries)
- experience in the insurance / financial services sector a plus
- excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills; fluent English in speaking and writing
- willing to be based in Nairobi, Kenya
For more information and for a confidential discussion, please contact Ben Cockram at firstname.lastname@example.org
The SR Group (Dubai) Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.