This would be a great opportunity if you are 10-15 PQE and a qualified solicitor in the UK, with top city firm training and a broad background in construction/projects and commercial law and you must have significant management experience, even for non-lawyers or support staff, as this role would take on immediate management of three junior lawyers and there would be opportunity to grow and develop this team.
You will be reporting to the General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer EMEA, in the London office and your responsibilities will include:
- Establishing, maintaining and delivering the Commercial & Projects Team strategy to support business within the region, while being integrated into the business' activities;
- Establishing and maintaining a very close relationship with the EMEA subsidiaries regarding all commercial legal matters;
- Proactively working with the business to anticipate business needs;
- Providing general counselling and management of a full spectrum of legal advice, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal documents and commercial contracts supporting the operations of the group companies in EMEA (including non-disclosure agreements, contracts with suppliers, contracts with clients, nomination agreements, agency agreements, distribution agreements, logistics agreements, consignment stock agreements…etc), largely in the automotive industry;
- Defining and maintaining contracting risk management standards together with the EMEA subsidiaries, identifying risks and issues and proposing solutions;
- Managing the legal support on high voltage power cable projects in EMEA including the review and negotiation of consortium agreements, EPC Contracts (based on FIDIC, NEC and other standard forms), subcontracts, interface agreements, crossing agreements and review of associated tender documentation (ITTs, deviations tables, parent company guarantees, performance bonds, …etc);
- Developing and maintaining template contracts;
- Facilitating continuous growth in knowledge and skill of the Commercial & Project Team;
- Appointing and managing external legal counsel as and when necessary;
- Regular international travel;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer EMEA.
Required Education & Experience
- Solicitor of England & Wales with circa 10-15 PQE, including a solid previous management experience.
- 5+ years with a reputable law firm and relevant in-house experience in a managerial role is essential.
- Must have the right to work in the UK.
- Solid experience of drafting and reviewing commercial contracts. Knowledge of and interest in EPC contracts/construction and dispute resolution would be a plus.
- An experience contracting in civil law jurisdictions, such as France, Italy or Germany, in addition to the UK would be a plus.
- English fluency required; fluency or competency in an additional language (French, Italian or German) would be a plus.
- Excellent drafting and oral communication skills; must be a good negotiator.
Essential attributes & skills
- Enthusiasm and strong involvement in professional life.
- Organised individual with excellent attention to detail, balanced with commercial acumen and pragmatism, high-energy professional, with personal self-confidence.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to build relationships throughout a highly decentralised and segmented organisation.
- Ability to successfully perform and produce results in a fast-paced, high-volume, intellectually intense, client-oriented environment.
- Strong management skills and adept in handling human relations in an environment involving varied and diversified cultures.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.