This is a fantastic opportunity for a mid-senior level commodity trading lawyer, with significant experience in physical and paper trading, ideally having trained at a top city law firm and having gained some in house experience. You will be joining a small commodity team, within a larger global legal team, so you should be very comfortable and confident in your ability to work autonomously and communicate with the commercial team.
You will be required to:
- Identify key legal risks and opportunities associated with the marketing business's activities, including day to day trading queries (physical and paper), disputes, projects and origination transactions.
- Report on a regular and consistent basis in relation to progress of work, costs and legal matters.
- Update the Group Legal reports comprehensively and accurately as-and-when material developments occur or monthly, whichever is the more frequent. Where required, participate in briefings of General Counsel, BU management and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with the business teams to provide timely and appropriate advice in connection with commercial transactions, projects and strategy developments.
- Support the compliance and risk teams to provide effective operational compliance oversight and monitoring.
- Manage the provision of legal services by external lawyers and law firms in a cost-effective manner,
- Manage client relationships to deliver high quality/timely advice to the Anglo American Group in relation to its marketing business legal activities.
Key skills required:
- Experience of international commodity trading (physical and paper) preferably gained in-house within a large multinational commodities company
- Would be preferable to have experience in drafting and negotiating international commodity sales contracts in bulks, precious metals and LME products (Incoterms, SCoTA, SIOTA), including shipping terms for bulks and containerised vessels
- Knowledge of anti-trust, compliance and sanctions issues in commodity contracts
- In-depth understanding of identifying and mitigating risk
- Commercial awareness and pragmatism
- Broad understanding of English law or relevant common law
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.