Work Permits and Requalification

All non-Bermudans require a work permit which will be applied for by your prospective employer in anticipation of your arrival on island. The majority of permits are issued for a one year period and then re-applied for on an annual basis.

If your spouse wishes to work in Bermuda, his or her prospective employer must obtain permission from the Department of Immigration and be issued with a work permit. Unmarried partners have no right to reside on the island. Permits will not be granted to anyone with more than two accompanying children.

As a lawyer, you must hold a Commonwealth qualification to be admitted to practice in Bermuda and you are generally required to have at least 3 years’ post qualification experience in a desirable practice area (although it is not actually set out in statute).